There are a couple of common issues with loading and using Kontakt Instruments, so we put together a useful guide to downloading, installing and using 3rd party Kontakt libraries.
This guide will hope to fix the follwing issues:
- How to load and organise your instruments
- How to fix the kontakt "demo" mode issue
- Kontakt library won't show in left hand side tabs
- What to do with corrupted files / patches
Download the full guide here:
HOW TO LOAD IN KONTAKT 5
Please check out this tutorial which will show you how to load the patches in Kontakt
* If you just want to get started quickly, just drag the .nki files into kontakt.
IMPORTANT - You need a FULL version of Kontakt 5 (Not the free version Kontakt Player) to run our kontkt libraries)
Why does it say “Demo” when I load library into Kontakt?
The reason you get “Demo” is because you are using the free player version of Kontakt, which we don’t support. All our products require the full retail version of Kontakt to work.
However, if you are already using the full version of Kontakt, the “Demo”mode means Kontakt has deauthorized itself due to a registry read/write conflict and reverted to “Player” mode. Below is a short (but thorough) explanation of how to reauthorize your full version of Kontakt.
- Try logging out of your computer and logging back in as full system administrator with full permissions and all account restrictions turned completely off. That is essential in some cases to allow Kontakt to read/write to your system registry.
- Make sure you have the full version of Kontakt. If you don’t, you can update it through the NI Service Center and follow the update/installation process it leads you through.
- Then make sure that all instances of Kontakt or your host sequencer are closed.
- Next, run Kontakt in standalone mode and press the help button at the top of Kontakt. From the dropdown menu, choose Launch Service Center. That will launch the NI Service Center windowand allow you to enter your serial code and activate Kontakt. Most likely, you’ll already see your Kontakt serial number entered under the Activation tab if you already fully activated Kontakt when you first installed it. Just press the Activate button at the bottom. Then close the Service Center, close Kontakt and then restart it again.
KONTAKT PLAYER FREE VERSION
You can use our libraries in Kontakt Player. However you will only be able to use the instruments for 30 minutes at a time before they “timeout” this is why we recommend only using our libraries with a FULL version of Kontakt 5 :)
CAN I LOAD THIS INTO THE LEFT KONTAKT TABS?
Unfortunately not. As a small sound design company, Native Instruments would require a large annual fee to be paid in order to allow our libraries to come up on the left hand side tabs.
Most of the Kontakt libraries available on the market are made by 3rd party sound designers, so it is not possible to load their libraries into the left hand side Kontakt library tab.
* However, you can use the video above that explains how to organise your 3rd party kontakt instruments in a fast and easy to use way.
The Kontakt patch / .nki file is corrupt and cannot be loaded (unknown), what can I do?
That means you need the latest version of Kontakt to load the
instrument. Try to go to NI service center and upgrade to the latest version of Kontakt, which should resolve this issue.
Kontakt can’t find samples/wallpapers. What can I do?
If you’ve checked to make sure that the .rar file downloaded and extracted fully, then it could just be an error in the expected sample path in the .nki file. To fix this, you can use the “Batch Resave” function in Kontakt to automatically correct the file paths so that you never see that error again. Here’s how to do a batch resave of a Kontakt library:
- Go to the File menu at the top of Kontakt. At the bottom of the drop down list that appears when you click on it, you’ll see “Batch Resave” as the last option on the list. Press that and then when the browser window pops open, navigate to the main folder of the instrument you’re having trouble with and press OK. It will scan the .nki files in the library to see if any samples are missing or have been moved. Then, when it asks you where the missing samples are after a few minutes, just navigate back to the same main library folder and press OK again. It will take over from there and resave all of the .nki files with the new proper file paths.
This is a useful trick to know if you ever move Kontakt libraries around or ever see that error with any library. Most of the time, Kontakt just needs to research for the proper file paths to the samples and then resave those paths into the .nkis so that it remembers where to look from then on.
How can I access my library in Kontakt?
Please use the normal Kontakt Browser (upper left) and find the .nki files through it (depending on where you placed the folder on your hard drive). The advantage in making our libraries openformat instruments is that you have direct access and ability to edit or manipulate the .wavs, which is very important to a lot of users.
When I load the library into Kontakt I get a “Samples Missing” error, what can I do?
If this is solved when you browse for the folder or files, you can save the patch and it will remember where the proper location is.
If you have any other issues or problems please email us at email@example.com and we will personally assist you :)